On June 3, 1917, 32 soldiers of the U.S. Army Signal Corps first arrived at the site of what would become Fort Monmouth in two Model T Ford trucks. Originally named Camp Little Silver due to its location, they built a cantonment, quartermaster facilities, and a camp hospital, all under canvas. It gained permanent status in 1925, and was named Fort Monmouth in honor of the patriots who died in the Battle of Monmouth. In 2005, the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission mandated the closing of Fort Monmouth, and its flag was lowered on September 10, 2010.
Leave a Reply