On June 22, 1926, the Little Silver Public Library was established by resolution of a meeting of the Mayor and Council. County Librarian Eleanor Randall and Estella T. Rothwell, principal of the Little Silver School, had appeared before the governing body, requesting establishment of a public library. The first library was located on the second floor of the old Firehouse at 16 Church St., and was open for three hours, one day a week.
By 1931, the library’s annual circulation was 3,100 with 400 volumes of books. By 1937, it was up to more than 4,100, and grew steadily thereafter, with new books, newspaper clippings, bookcases, etc., all donated readily by community members over the years.
The library remained in the Firehouse util December 1935, when the Borough Council relocated its offices and the library into the recently vacated old school, renamed Borough Hall.
In April, 1964, Mayor Charles W. Stephens presented the Council’s proposal for converting the vacant Borough garages into a new town library. Construction of the new building/conversion began in August 1964, and at a cost of $24,954, the new Little Silver Free Public Library was completed. In 1966, the library was incorporated as an Association Library, eligible for state and federal aid.
Estella Rothwell died in 1985, she had served as the town’s principal for 30 years. She was a resident of the Borough for 50 years, and was also a member of the Garden Club.
The Women’s Club of Little Silver has adopted the library as an extra activity, providing volunteers and soliciting donations of books.
Over the years, an additional 3,600 square feet have been added, with a children’s area, technology center with computers, and a comfortable, quiet reading area. Library services are now available six days a week.
Estella T. Rothwell. (1985). The Daily Register, Red Bank, N.J., December 31, 1985, P. 8.
Little Silver Library website. Available: https://www.littlesilverlibrary.org/
Little Silver Library. (1931). The Daily Register, Red Bank, N.J., December 2, 1931, P. 1.
Health Officials Ask Borough to Collect Garbage. (1937). The Daily Register, Red Bank, N.J., December 30, 1937, P. 11.