On May 18, 1826, the U.S. Congress appropriated funds for a new lighthouse to be located in Highlands, which would become known as the Twin Lights of Navesink. Congress allocated funds to allow 2¾ acres of land to be purchased from Nimrod Woodward for $600. Instead of a single tower, two octagonal ones, constructed of blue split stone and separated by 320 feet, were built on the summit. When Keeper Joseph Doty first lit the Twin Lights of Navesink in 1828, the north tower displayed a fixed white light, and the south tower a flashing white light. The twin lights were one of seven stations in the United States to feature two towers. Eventually, the condition of the structure deteriorated, and it was eventually demolished, and replaced with a new Twin Lights, which still stands today.