Monmouth Park’s long and storied history dates back to July 30, 1870 when the track first opened, just three miles from Long Branch, amid much national fanfare. Due to the high caliber of its racing, Monmouth Park achieved distinction as the “Newmarket of America”– a reference to the famed racecourse in England. Three years after the first Monmouth Park was opened, financial difficulties forced the track to close. It would reopen, close again, and finally open once more in the facility that still exists and prospers today.
Leave a Reply